This delicious meal is one of the easiest things to make. It’s simply prawns with sweet peppers in Chinese style curry, served with Basimati rice. I drew inspiration from oriental & southern asian cuisine, mixing my west African flavours and techniques to make this delicious recipe. It is quick, easy and oh so tasty, taking just 20 minutes to make.
Vegetable Oil ( or Olive Oil)
Prawns (Cooked and Peeled)
Curry Paste 2 Tbsp
Water 250ml (Half a cup)
Spring Onions (or Onions)
All purpose Seasoning
Maggie Cube x1 (or salt)
Sweet Red, Green, & Yellow peppers.
Light Soy Sauce
Shao Hsing Wine
– Rice: You’ll need about 2 cups of rice depending on how much you want.
– Pour into pot or bowl and run under the tap, washing x3 (I usually wash it until the water is clear, just to get rid of all the starch). To measure the water, all you need to do is just use the first line of your middle finger. Avoid adding to much water, you don’t want your rice soggy. Add salt (If you want) and cook for 10-15mins. *This recipe is also great with jasmine rice.
– Chinese Curry paste (can be bought from you local supermarket). You need about 2-3 table spoons of this. I recommend you use a jog or bowl for this before adding to your pan. Pour about 3 quarters of water so just over half a cup of water and stir for a few seconds. (Don’t worry if it’s liquidy it’ll thicken over the fire) If it gets to thick just add more water or if it’s still to liquidy add a bit more paste.
– If you do not have curry paste curry powder is a good substitute just sprinkle over the prawns in the pan and add tomato puree and a teaspoon of palm oil.
– Chop your onions garlic and ginger (these 2 are optional) and add to the oil in the heated pan.
– Stir lightly adding your prawns, followed by a dash of the fish sauce and chinese rice wine (Optional)
– Sprinkle your all purpose seasoning and maggie if you don’t have these just use salt.
– Add your black pepper and if you ant it spicy like mine add 1 scotch bonnet or chilli pepper.
– Mix together tossing occasionally (I used a wok) then pour your curry sauce into the pan and lightly mix adding your sweet peppers. Leave to simmer for another 5 minutes then serve with rice. By now the Rice should be done. You can sprinkle some fresh coriander and serve.
Enjoyyy!! Kezia Xx