When I want a cocktail that is refreshing and fuss free, sangria springs to mind. The thing I love most about this recipe is that it’s simple and full of flavour only requiring a few minutes to make, with a few simple ingredients. From the spanish provenance, traditional sangria is a combination of red wine, brandy, juice and chopped fruits. I call it the Red wine punch as it’s fruity, spicy and just too good!
I like mine sweet enough not to taste the alcohol, so go easy when using this recipe cos’ after a few glasses one might feel a little light headed ;). I’ve put together my version by playing around with the ingredients, I’ve used cinnamon, mint and zesty fruits for full freshness and fizzy drinks and sweeteners for extra flavour.
What you’ll need:
- A jug
- Ice cubes
- Bottle of Red wine (Shiraz, Sauvignon or claret)
- Gallo Moscato white wine
- Fresh fruits (Oranges x 1 Lemons x 1)
- Mint leaves. (handful)
- Sprite (Lemonade)
- Orange juice
- Sweetener (1 Tbsp of Sugar or Honey)
- Cinnamon Rods x 3
Time: 4 minutes (For best results make sure the drinks are chilled, even the wine if you wish).
* I Find it easier to measure the drinks with a wine glass saves time and offers a good balance of flavour.
- In a jug, add a handful of ice.
- Slice a large orange, followed by 1 lemon and add to the ice.
- Place your cinnamon in the jug
- pour half a bottle of red wine over the ice and sliced fruit.
- Then 1 1/2 wine glass of Sweet white wine (Moscato).
- Followed by 1 1/2 wine glass of Sprite (lemonade)
- 1 1/2 wine glass of orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar (or honey)
Stir with a spoon and mixing well together, pop in the fridge for an hour.
Then serve!! Hope you like it enjoy and let me know your thoughts! 🙂