This week I was asked by the lovely afrolems to come up with a breakfast recipe! She also encouraged me to be a little playful and creative with it so I rolled up my sleeves and got straight into it! I must admit when it get’s to Breakfast, I don’t really think through it.. a smoothie or porridge can satisfy me, at the same time It can get a little repetetive (as a result of impatience and sometimes laziness). So for this I wanted to try something a little fun and different.
I decided to try recreate a childhood favourite, plantain and omelette. I wanted to give it a little twist by making the plantain into pancakes! As a self proclaimed Pancake lover I thought it’ll only be right to try and combine the two and serve it with sausage scrambled eggs. I think It’s a great recipe for breakfast and Brunch so let’s go ahead and get started!
What you’ll need:
A Whisk, Mixing Bowl/s, Food Processor, Non Stick Frying Pan.
Ingredients: Pancakes: 6 Serving: 3
-1 Large Ripe Plantain (or Overly ripe)
– 1 Cup of Gluten Free Flour (Or Flour of Your Choice)
– 1 Large Egg
– 1/4 Tsp of Baking powder (optional)
– 1 Tablespoon of Honey/Sugar (Optional)
– 1/4 cup of Milk
– 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
– Pinch Of Salt
– 1 Large Tablespoon of Melted Butter/Margarine.
1. Slice your plantain into pieces, Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper and a table spoon of honey/sugar, mix well.
2. In a food processor add the plantain, drizzle some olive oil as this will help with the consistency and allow the plantain to be smooth, it’s essential if your plantain is not overly ripe. Blend for a minute then add in your egg, milk then melted butter and blend till mixture is completely smooth.
3. Grab a bowl and add your cup of sieved flour, I used gluten free flour but of course you can use any of your choice and your baking powder mix with your whisk and combine with plantain mixture.
*Tip if you find your plantain mixture a little to thick you can add a little bit of milk to help with the consistency.
4. In a frying pan (or pan of choice) add tablespoon of butter or Oil using a ladle scoop the mixture and add to the pan.
5. cook on medium to low heat on each side for 2 minutes. Once all the batches have been done we’ll leave it to cool and move over to our scrambled eggs.
3 Large Eggs
2 Frankfurters Sausages (Chopped)
Half an Onion, Chopped
5 Cherry Tomatoes, Halved/Quartered
Pinch of Salt (or Maggie)
1/4 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper.
100ml of milk. I Used LactoFree milk so this is great for lactose intolerant foodies like me 🙂
Method Scrambled Eggs:
In a bowl combine 3 eggs with milk, a pinch of salt and whisk.
1. In a frying pan add a tablespoon of butter/margerine followed by your onions, sausage and tomatoes a sauté for a minute or 2.
I like the Smokiness from the sausage as it gives the eggs a nice flavour, you don’t even need salt!
2. Add your egg mixture and cook lightly for a minute or 2 and then it’s done!
Combine with your pancakes and then serve 🙂
Bon apetite 🙂 X