Walking through the supermarket aisle I caught a glimpse of the bright orange bottle, with a bold black cap and label. It stood out amongst the other sauces and without a thought, I picked it up and placed it in my basket.
Fast forward to today, craving peri chicken more than ever with zero interest in leaving the house I thought I’d make some Peri Peri chicken with the Nando’s ‘Medium’ Marinade with a few additional ingredients 🙂
Ingredients I Used:
6 Chicken quarters
1 teaspoon of dried pepper I used Korean Pepper but Smoked Paprika would be good
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
3 cloves of fresh garlic or 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 Knorr Stock Cubes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
150ml of Nando’s Hot Medium Peri Marinade
Juice of 1 lemon or lime, with a bit of zest
1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- Wash and pat dry the chicken. Then make slits in the chicken and season both sides with the dry ingredients and olive oil (not the Nando’s marinade).
- Rub well together and leave to marinate for 20 minutes (best over night).
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C / 180 C Fan / Gas 6.
- In a pan (I love using non stick for this) heat some oil (2 tablespoons) and place the chicken skin side down, we just want to brown the skin not fully cook it so do this for about 3 minutes on both sides until the skin turns golden brown.
- Once the chicken has been browned, place into a baking tray, coat lightly with 50ml of Nando’s Marinade then bake for 30 minutes.
- For the Nando’s marinade – Pour 100ml depending on how much you want into a pan, squeeze some lemon or lime juice and add a tablespoon of brown sugar or honey and stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. Make sure to taste and adjust to your preference, as you may want to add a bit more honey 🙂
- Once the chicken is half way cooked baste the marinade on both sides of the chicken and cook for remaining minutes.
- Before serving I like to pour the juice of the baked chicken into the Nando’s marinade, mix and baste the chicken again, and then grill the chicken for a few more minutes, the sauce can also be served as a dip alongside the chicken.
*PS this recipe will be perfect over the BBQ 🙂
Enjoy with rice or salad 🙂
Have you tried Nando’s marinade? I love their extra hot!!